Department of PG Studies in Food Science and Nutrition
The department of P.G. Studies in Food Science and Nutrition was established in the year 2018 at Besant Women’s College, Mangalore affiliated to Mangalore University. The department offers a 2-year program to improve academic skills related to nutrition and technology along with the field experience in the form of internships. It provides a lively and academically engaging atmosphere, focusing on their overall development. The Department of PG Studies in Food Science and Nutrition has a team of well experienced faculty members who actively engage themselves and students in activities related to various areas of food science.
- Impart skill based knowledge to the students to suit the requirements of food sectors and empower them to promote health sectors and community based services.
- Train the students to master the analytical and methodological skills to make original, ethical and scientific contribution in the area of food science and nutrition.
- Admission on a non-discriminative basis to help the students to evolve into competent individuals, to be of better service to the family and society.
- To provide strong academic foundation which emphasize the science and research principles in the area of food science and nutrition.
- To nurture scientifically qualified and disciplined future nutrition experts, academicians, researchers, free lancers and food technologists.
- To provide comprehensive knowledge of relationship between nutrients and food components and their impact on human health and disease.
- To raise the standard of living of the people by imparting nutrition based knowledge and help in the overall development of our community and country.
SUBJECTS OFFERED BY THE DEPARTMENT AS PER UNIVERSITY GUIDELINE
CERTIFICATE COURSE OFFERED BY THE DEPARTMENT:
1.CERTIFICATE COURSE IN PATHOLOGICAL TECHNIQUES
The M.Sc. Food Science and Nutrition programs assures with the following outcomes to the students by the end of the course:
- It provides an in-depth understanding of the correlation between food and health, role of food under specific disease conditions and applications of food science in food processing industries.
- Develop comprehensive and analytical skills to work as trained human resource in food industries and health sectors
- Gain insight in public health nutrition for employment food as safety officers, Government sectors like FCI, FSSAI etc.
- Acquire entrepreneurial skills in the field of food science, processed foods and nutrition.
M.Sc. Food Science and Nutrition: Candidates who have passed three year B.Sc. degree examination of Mangalore University or any other University considered as equivalent thereto with a minimum of 45% (40% in the case of SC/ST/Cat-I candidates) marks in aggregate excluding languages and Group III subjects are eligible for the programme provided they have studied Chemistry/ Biochemistry and any two of the following optional/major/special subjects:
Botany, Biotechnology, Environmental Science, Forestry, Food Science, Home Science, Horticulture, Microbiology, Pharmacognosy, Zoology, Physiology and Genetics.
Candidates who have passed Bachelor degree examination in Food Nutrition and Dietetics, Agriculture, Horticulture, Fishery Science, Engineering Biotechnology, Food Technology, Home Science, Biomedical Science, Nursing, Naturopathy and Yogic Science (BNYS) with a minimum of 45% (40% in case of SC/ST/Cat-I candidates) marks in aggregate excluding languages and Group III subjects are also eligible.