As per the order of Supreme Court of India and subsequent Notification from University Grants Commission (UGC), ragging constitutes one or more of any intention by any student or group of students on:
- Any act of Indiscipline, Teasing or Handling with Rudeness.
- Any act that Prevents, Disrupts the Regular Academic Activity.
- Any activity which is likely to cause Annoyance, hardship, Psychological Harm or creates Fear or Apprehension.
- Any Act of Financial Extortion or Forceful Expenditure.
- Any Act of Physical Abuse causing Assault, Harm or danger to Health.
- Any Act of abuse by spoken words, emails, SMS or public insult etc.
- Any Act of injury or infringement of the fundamental right to the human dignity.
- Any Act of Wrongful Confinement, Kidnapping, molesting or committing unnatural offences, use of criminal forces, trespass or intimidation.
- Any unlawful assembly or conspiracy to ragging.
Penalty for Ragging: No person who is a student of Besant Women’s College shall commit ragging. Supreme Court of India has ordered that ‘if any incident of ragging comes to the notice of the authority, the concerned student shall be given liberty to explain and if his/her explanation is not found satisfactory, the authority would expel him/her from the institution’.
Depending upon the nature and gravity of the offence the Anti-Ragging Committee and the Governing Body of the college will take stringent action on the offender either by
- Cancellation of admission
- Debarring from admission to any other institution of the University
- Withdrawing scholarship and other benefits
- Debarring from appearing for examination
- Debarring from representing the College in sports and cultural events
- The college will resort to collective punishment when the persons committing the crime of ragging are not identified, to ensure community pressure on the potential raggers.
The college has a zero-tolerance policy on ragging. The Committee includes the Management, Principal, Senior Professors, Associate/ Asst. Professors.
Anti-ragging cell Committee 2020-2021
Anti-ragging cell Squad Members 2020-2021
There have been no incidents of Ragging in the college till date
- To meet periodically to discuss and prevent incidences of ragging
- Educate students on the negativity of ragging through posters, videos etc. which will help them to refrain from such acts
- Monitor anti – ragging activities in the Institution
- During the assembly and value education class the students are briefed about ragging and ethos of the college
- The whole campus is under CCTV surveillance and the movements of the students are monitored
- Names of those indulging in ragging will be instantly removed from the admission and further action will be taken as per the policy